FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What age does a young carer get support from Crossroads?
Our project supports young carers from the age of 5 to 23.
How can I refer a young carer to get help from Crossroads?
To refer someone to our young carers project:
Who can refer a young carer?
In short, anyone! From relatives to teachers, social workers to young carers themselves – anyone can refer. To refer:
What areas in Northern Ireland does Crossroads Young Carers work?
Currently we have support workers in the following areas: Belfast, North Down & Ards, Newcastle, Castlewellan, Downpatrick, Ballynahinch, Killyleagh, Saintfield, Lisburn, Newtownabbey, Carrick, Larne, Ballymena, Magherafelt and Ballymoney.
How quickly after a referral is received does a young carer start receiving support from Crossroads?
We endeavour to provide support for young carers as soon as we are able to, although there are a number of factors that affect how quickly a young carer gets support from Crossroads:
- Funding – availability of funds to start a new outing or activity
- Priority – nature of the young carers situation will affect their priority level
- Age – age profile of the young carer and matching them with peers of a similar age
- Location – availability of a support worker in the same area
What activities do Crossroads provide for young carers?
We primarily provide social support as our young carers meet others in similar situations, through outings e.g. cinema, bowling, games nights, walks etc. We also have get-togethers to help meet other young carers and workshops to equip young carers with different skills.
How often do activities happen?
We support young carers from once a month to quarterly.
How can I help with the young carers project?
There are lots of ways you can help support our work with young carers. The nature of our work with young carers means we don’t have young carer volunteers, but there are plenty of ways you can help us:
- Run a Workshop – if you are able to help us run a skills workshop, e.g. classes in photography, woodwork, crafts etc. please get in touch. Email: email@example.com or Call: 028 9180 0661
- Fundraise – raise funds for our work through sponsored runs, bake sales etc. Click here to receive our fundraising pack and view more inspirational ideas for how to fundraise.
- Donate – support our work financially. Click here to find out more.
- Charity of the Year – if you work for a business or organisation, please consider nominating Crossroads Young Carers as your chosen charity. Supporting us through profiling or fundraising events.
How can I get more information?
If you would like more details about our young carers project, please get in touch. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or Call: 028 9180 0661.
How can I become a support worker?
Our support workers take our young carers out on social outings each month. These positions are advertised in the Jobs section of our website. Click here to see if there are any current vacancies.